I ordered a TI SensorTag last year, and like some many things lately its been on my future list. Well the future was today, i finally took it out of the box and set it up. It took all of five minutes including download the iphone app. I’m not sure what i’ll do with it yet but its pretty handy having a humidity sensor and thermometer connected to my phone. Should be interesting checking the various wiring closets i visit that don’t have monitors already installed.
Just in case your missing the theme so far, i have several things that are sitting in boxes waiting to be used. Another item i have is a Pi Plate, a shield or break out board that makes it easy to do some stuff with the Raspberry Pi. It took less than 15 minutes to solder this baby together, and it was nice to break out the soldering iron its been too long since i’ve had the chance to do this. I’m looking forward to testing this out soon.
I recently replaced the hard drive in my G5 Mac (PPC) and reinstalled the latest version of OSX. Which didn’t solve my problems, but thats a differnt topic.
Anyway I was running Nagios to monitor my home network. I do this for 2 reasons. 1 is that its just a lot of fun and 2 is that I use Nagios at work and like to play around with things at home at night before possibly putting it in production.
I recently decided that I wanted to give NagVis a try. First up was installing Nagios. The last time I did this was from source, but this time I decided to try from MacPorts, since I think it would be much faster. If I remember correctly it took lots of tweaking to get it going on OSX. The MacPorts install went perfectly. Next up was getting NDOutils loaded. This had to be done from source and after a bit of tweaking I got it working great with Nagios. NDOutils is one of the things that need to be in place before Nagvis. Next up were several modules that were needed that are not compiled into the default PHP version that is on OSX. After several hours I got all those compiled and installed. Finally was getting Nagvis going.
Well it works, sorta. The interface does come up and i can do the demo maps, but can’t create my own maps. I get odd errors and they may say something one time and something different the next time. And the apache log files may show different errors as well. No amount of searching and tweaking has gotten it working. I estimate that all together I’ve spent about 10 hours over several nights with no good results. If you have this working on OSX (not server) I would love to know how you did it.
On a side note, while searching for answers online, I actually found that Bing was more helpful than google on a lot of things I was looking for. I know, it doesn’t feel right typing that…
I finally got it all working. Took a lot more tweaking but finally its done.
I can’t be there with my wife and friends live and up close, but a least I can watch NASA TV.
So it’s been 4 years since I ordered a Palm Zire 72, and I still use it, everyday. I don’t use it for work anymore, but I do use it at home and for farming. It’s still works great and I still sync it with the Macs and my window work PC and Laptop.
Yesterday I did have to perform surgery on it. For the last couple of weeks the battery has started to not make it through the night, so I ordered a new one. I got it from Batteryship.com for $16, with tools. It took about 5 minutes to get it switched out.