Liliac Platform for Nagios on OSX

Tonight I’m attempting to install the liliac platform for nagios on OSX. Here are my notes.
Upon downloading extraction and placing the fold in my Webroot, thats /Library/WebServer/Documents/ on OSX. I then load up the install.php file.

This will tell you what is missing and what changes need to be made, pretty straight forward so far.

First one on my list is Configuration File Writable and points me to:
/Library/WebServer/Documents/lilac/includes/lilac-conf.php
This is fixed by running the following:
$ sudo chown -R www:www /Library/WebServer/Documents/lilac/includes/

Next one is MySQL Client Executable.
Since I know that macports used the mysql5 sym link to mysql and I know that my /opt/ folders aren’t exposed to php, the quick fix i did was to create a new symlink to mysql in /usr/bin (Not sure if this is the best way, but it works)
$ sudo ln /opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin/mysql /usr/bin/mysql

Next one is NMAP Executable
Same as the following here, just need to make a link to where my nmap is.
$ sudo ln /usr/local/bin/nmap /usr/bin/nmap

Next one for me was PHP Command Line Interface (CLI) Available
Now on this one i did have php command line working, but i was getting an error message about one of my .so files not being able to be loaded. I took me a while but I finally figured out that I needed to fix it in the private php.ini not in the php.ini that the webserver was using. Removed the bad entry and everything was good.

The next and final challenge that I had was PCNTL support.
Now this one was a challenge. After some digging around I discovered that the default PHP complied on a mac was not built with this loaded. I ended up have to recomille php with support for this which was a whole challenge to itself, getting the correct source packages and header files and pointing them to the right place. Which could be a whole post to itself. Anyway I finally got that sorted out.

Now that all that is done, the next screen is the MySQL Database Setup. Enter your information and it creates the database for you.

Next page was the completion and some suggestions.

Now its time to Configure things. On the Nagios Daemon Configuration, then the Paths, I entered my nagios information here. On my version it uses /opt/local/etc/nagios and /opt/local/var/nagios/
for the base of things. On Debug I changed to my paths. And for the time being I didn’t alter any other settings.

Back to the Home screen then to Nagios Resources. for $USER1$ i changed the path to /opt/local/libexec/nagios

Back to the Home screen then to Web Interface Configuration. Changed the Physical HTML path to: /opt/local/share/nagios

Once that was done everything was ready to import. Thats under the Tools menu.

Now everything is working! While this is really over kill on my tiny home network, I could see how this could be helpful in my work environment.